Monday 20 July 2020

Perfect

On a recent walk, I was mesmerized by trees. The variety of size and complexity. Large trees, smaller trees; trees with a few sturdy branches reaching up high. And then there are the trees with myriads of twigs and branches. Research suggests that trees can communicate underground by sending a variety of signals through mycorrhizal networks. I am not sure that trees have a conscious-awareness like people do. Although ‘Hug a Tree’ was trendy at some stage and I believe both the tree and the person may have benefited from that experience, for God is in all things.

 

I wonder if the trees look at each other wistfully or with contempt, do they judge and dream? Ezekiel 31:9 would suggest they do. (I made it – the Cedar- beautiful with its mass of branches, the envy of all the trees in the Garden of Eden). It makes you wonder, is there something like a perfect tree?

 

In Matthew’s gospel, we read that we are “to be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect”. I like to do things well; however, the idea of perfection has negative connotations for me. A perfectionist who loses sight of everything else in order to be perfect, is not something I relate to.

 

In our world today we are (or can feel) judged on our appearance, food and exercise habits and many more aspects. To be perfect, whatever that may look like is difficult to attain. The expectations, for example, ideal beauty depends on our cultural background. The perfect mother, daughter, wife or workmate depends on the expectation of others. No person is an island. We are all influenced by the culture we live in. Expectations in the workplace differ from those in personal relationships. Being perfect is fluid and intangible.

 

In Greek, we can translate the word 'perfect' also as ‘complete’ or ‘whole’.

 

For me, being content and whole or complete, has several components. Apart from financial security, good health, loving relationships and a sense of purpose, I think the spiritual element of my faith is also an essential factor to my being ‘complete’. Which I find in my encounter with God, in whom I live and have my being.

 

Wholeness is about unity rather than fragments, it is about personal relationships, and it is about the relationship with the Divine.

 

Have you considered what you need to be whole or complete?

                 


  Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. Gautama Buddha

No comments:

Post a Comment