Thursday 13 August 2020

Discernment

For some people, the environment they work in has a direct effect on their productivity and focus. The layout of their office, open plan or closed office, a beautiful view or only a wall may have an impact on their mood.

The environment I am in is conducive to my morning practice. A nice warm room, lighting a candle, and some incense are key for my mental preparation.  The fragrance of sandalwood filling my room, a candle in front of the icons on my little table to help me centre on inner stillness. I breathe slowly and focus on the breath entering and leaving my body, as I prepare for my meditation.

Today’s reflection was an invitation to discern, where God is calling me.

The question: “Am I willing to let God guide me in every part of my life?”

Every part of my life? What I eat, how I exercise, what I read, whom I love, career choice, and my political decisions? There are many parts to my daily life’s opportunities.

I am not sure about you, but it made me slightly uncomfortable. In general, I would suggest that God’s desire for us is to be happy, compassionate and caring towards others and walk humbly with our God. I felt uncomfortable because I am an independent person who doesn’t like to be told what to do!

How do we know what God’s desire is? How do we discern if God has an idea or opinion on aspects of life, rather than the sum of these? Are we sure that God is interested in our mundane lives? Will God punish us if we go our own way? I suppose an underlying issue is, do we trust God to be clear in her direction?

To follow God’s calling, we can walk a variety of paths. A sacrificial path, a path of freedom, we can follow our gut feeling or try to follow the directions in Scripture, to name a few.

I believe God is interested; I believe God wants the best for us, so that we become whole. I also believe God wants us to lead meaningful lives. Our personal vocations differ, whether we are to be the best doctor, plumber or religious, we have our own lives to live to the best of our ability.

Ignatian Spirituality offers an insight in discernment. In his own life, St Ignatius learned that certain things brought him closer to God. His heart burned with love and excitement; at other times St Ignatius became withdrawn, disquiet or even restless. He suggested discernment on life-decisions can be made by paying close attention to how we feel.

Consolation is when we feel close to God, desolation when we feel further away from God. This may sound easy; however, it takes some practice to decipher what your desire is and what course of action to take to follow God’s will. In some instance, we may want to ask others for their insights, to be able to draw a conclusion.

I believe that God wants the best for us. I think that the awareness of my attachment to being independent has helped me to let go and trust God. This has also helped me to step back and look at what options I have for the future. To focus on creative endeavours, like writing a blog and craft work. These creative activities help me to connect with the Divine and grow in that relationship.

What helps you to discern God’s intentions for you?

Seek Peace and find it within.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment