Wednesday 2 September 2020

Challenges

Completed paintings, if there is such a thing, rarely show the challenge and frustration the painter goes through before the end result is acceptable. To be able to re-create what is in font of you or in the mind’s eye requires skill and patience.

My latest painting consists of a branch of an apple tree. Apples are one thing to paint, the lush, fat fruit with a crunch to it, is hard to put on a canvas. However leaves, with the shades of green, or with a hint of red, a brow speck or the illusion of white in it, are a challenge. Do you ever stop and examine a leaf? Those of us who see colour can get overwhelmed with the plethora of hues and shades.

My teacher keeps asking the same question to each individual; “What you see?”  We see shapes, negative shapes and colour. If you are like me and are too sparse with paint, you have to keep mixing the same colour over and over again; a little variation might make a huge difference. Sometimes this is great. It creates depth and form, sometimes it is a disaster, and the newly acquired tint may ruin hours of dedicated painting.

Painting is a challenge, a rewarding challenge when it turns out the way I saw it in my mind’s eye, whether it is copied from a picture or freehand. Imitation, can be a great tool to aid in learning a new skill.

In our spiritual journey, we are encouraged to imitate Christ. This simple statement, however, can create some anxiety. Who are we to follow? The historical Jesus or the Cosmic Christ. Or are we encouraged to be the best person we can be? To grow into ourselves, as God intended us to be. I am not sure about you, but I do ‘me’ quite well, I couldn’t be my best friend or my husband. I have to be me. Whole and complete as God intended me to be.

St Francis calls us to be Christ-like, living the gospel life. Letting go of our earthly desires, spending time ‘in the gaze of God’ and looking after those in need. We are called to share the Good News, the love of God and to build a more fraternal world. 

Like painting, this takes practice, an open mind and commitment.

Seek Peace and find it within.

No comments:

Post a Comment