Wednesday 2 December 2020

Advent

Christmas is upon us.

Carols greet us as we enter shops. They encourage us to focus on presents, to buy for our loved ones, rather than on the Divine Presence. Supermarkets started stocking the Christmas goodies weeks ago. The Christmas lighting has been on the shelves, ready for lavishly decorating our homes. The theme is to spend, spend and spend. Due to Covid-19 nor have we been able to travel overseas, nor have we had a decent holiday. We are ready for some distractions. People are tired, and are looking forward to summer holidays, time-out and catching up with friends and families.

Going on a regular retreat was a requirement for clergy in the past. Nowadays, it is a recommendation. Advent retreats were common, now they are hard to find. A retreat to take some time out of commitments and to prepare for the coming of the Christ child. Sounds great, doesn’t it?

How do we prepare for Advent and Christmas? Advent was like Lent, a time of sombre anticipation and reflection. Both are a time for spiritual preparation. A time for prayer, and in some traditions, time for repentance, and taking time out from our demanding jobs and lifestyles. The advent wreath with the four candles that symbolize Hope, Peace, Joy and Love, was designed to help us on this journey.

However, the world has changed. There are hardly any retreats offered. Some people would argue there is no need for this Advent preparation, the Holy Spirit is with us till Christ comes again. I think it is more complicated than that. When an Advent retreat was announced I was quite excited. A retreat in an intentional faith community, what else could we ask?

Silence, reflection and walks in combination with interesting, thought-provoking input sessions, nice food and restful sleep… that was my hope....
The wind was howling, the rain relentless and my room was adjacent to the shared bathroom. The bed was uncomfortable, the input sessions very gentle, however the food was fantastic!

Although it was not what I had hoped, the Divine inspired and sustained me. The Divine within us, communicating with the Divine surrounding us, guiding and challenging me. The struggles I have with Church teachings and what I believe, are continuous. The Church as an institution is facing tumultuous times, similar to just before Jesus was born.

Sometimes retreats are peaceful and move like murmuring water- restful and inspiring. At other times one is invited to visit painful experiences. Returning to those times can be a time of healing, of growth.

This Advent retreat invited me to look at who I am before God. Our preparation was the passage from Mark’s Gospel, where Jesus asks Bartimaeus “What do you want me to do for you?” To which the blind Bartimaeus responds: “Rabbi, I want to see again”.

I too want to see, I want to awaken. Although faith is not a merely a question of believing, with Carl Jung I can say: “I know”. Deep down, I know. I know God. But to see a glimpse of the Divine in daily life, to be encouraged, to experience God, that is what I want.

A while ago I asked someone if they ever doubted, had they ever hoped for ‘a sign’? She said, for those who know, there is no need for a sign. For those who doubt, no sign will be sufficient. I still like a sign now and then. A fellow traveller on the road or some wisdom gleaned from another person’s experience.

Going on retreat I had hoped for a sign, an insight in the Divine existence. Looking for something that is right in my face, all the time.

It is called ‘open-handed living’, it is about awareness and perception. It is not about earth-shattering experiences, it is about showing up and slowing down.

It is about being present.

May you find a retreat in daily life, be open to God, and live open-handedly

I wish you a fruitful Advent.

 


 Seek Peace. Find it within.

No comments:

Post a Comment