Wednesday 23 September 2020

Rage

Do you ever get angry? 

Not merely annoyed, but angry, rage, sparks flying? 

I get that. Not because the wind blew the neighbour's bin over and all the rubbish is on my drive, which is annoying. Not because someone is taking the parking spot I have been waiting for, that is frustration.

 

I can get angry, or is the correct term "disappointed", especially when I look at how the Catholic Church is organised, or how society deals with inequality. The injustice of gender bias, race, religion etc. Reading historical literature, I come to the conclusion that some things have improved. Still, other aspects of human society and equality have a long way to go. 

 

When I was a teenager, my mother subscribed to a Feminist magazine. I wasn't particularly bothered then; schools were inclusive, and when looking for career opportunities, we were encouraged to look outside the square. Gender issues hadn't surfaced in my 'straight' world, although I am the first to admit that there might have been classmates who were gay, it didn't seem a big issue at the time.

 

Recently, in our monthly study group, we looked at some of the bookmarks from Caritas. Those bookmarks are a good starting point for a lively discussion. 

We were all given three different bookmarks and were invited to choose one we had to speak to. I received the 'Subsidiarity', 'Human Dignity' and 'Participation'. Choices - choices! I could speak to all of them!

 

Subsidiarity is about decision-making at the right level. And when you make a decision, you need to be aware of all those affected and make sure the decision made is in the best interest of all. The 'Participation' bookmark highlighted the need for each and every member of a community to play its role. 

 

It was the 'Human Dignity' bookmark that received the most energy, it made me angry and disappointed. The lack of inclusive language, the assumption that men know best. That makes the sparks fly! Or as a friend would say, 'It smokes my tyres'. 

 

Probably unintentional, or simply because the people who put it together do not think about these things. But the lack of female images or pronouns for God, the assumption that the Church knows best…. It is the arrogance of the male-dominated attitude that grinds me, time after time.

 

Recently I heard that a female, Catholic Theologian, really struggles that in their religious (female) community, (consisting of intelligent women), have to get a male in to Celebrate Mass. Nuns, sisters of religion, are increasingly vocal about the arrogance of the male-dominated church.

 

I wonder if the priests are aware that without the Blessed Virgin, (clearly a female), there would not have been a Jesus born. 

It is surprising that the Priest claim to take Jesus place at the altar, should it not be a female? To represent Mary? Should it not be a female, like Mary Magdalene, who was the first disciple teaching us about faith and following Christ? Where are the women in the Church??

Am I a Feminist? Only if that means that we work intentionally for equality in both society and Church. I am not saying a gentleman can't open the door for me, or can't gift me flowers. I do believe in equality in church and state matters.

 

I find it astonishing that in all world religions and faith traditions, the women have become second-degree citizens. Even in today's society women are not paid equal, have no equal rights and are still victims of sexual violence. Males continue to decide what is right or wrong for a woman. Just as an aside. How often do the trouser length for male trousers change? Who decides on the length of the skirts, dresses, depth of décolleté Etc. Etc.?

 

At what stage will the Catholic Church accept women for their worth, not just for cleaning the brass, or taking care of the flowers, and continue to fill the church. 

 

Over the weekend, my husband and I explored one of the lovely walkways in our city. A pleasant meander along the river, birdsong and blossom galore. It was Divine! I have lived in this city for more than 20 years, and never felt that walk was a sensible thing to do; how terribly SAD. My husband acknowledged he has never had to think about whether a particular walk is safe or not. He doesn't think twice going for an evening stroll.

 

Here we are, I make no apology for my rant. I do hope that as a society, we will make serious efforts to reach a point of equality, in every area of our lives. Where male and female are treated equal, no matter what their sexuality or race might be.

 

What change can you make in your life towards gender equality, towards a minimizing of male arrogance?

 

 


 

 Seek Peace and find it within.

 

1 comment:

  1. Ik ga er in elk geval over schrijven mbt kunst, creativiteit en schrijven!

    ReplyDelete