Saturday 3 October 2020

Books

Books, I like books.
Although e-books have become popular, I like to hold a book, it is so different from an electronic experience.
The excitement of wonders hidden inside the pages, the wisdom gathered and shared.
I am not sure about you, but I like the possibility of flipping through a book, turn the pages and go back if necessary.

I have lots of books.
They become like friends. There is knowledge and insights I haven't discovered yet.
'How-to' books are engaging. Learning a new craft from a book is a challenge. However, as, I am very visual, I give thanks for the 'YouTube' videos posted by competent people.

Do you read a book as soon as you have bought it? Or does it go on the shelf with its counterparts, to be rediscovered another day?

When I was studying, we were encouraged to read widely, a chapter here and a chapter there. The required reading list was endless. "One day", I thought… One day, I will sit down and read the whole book at leisure. I am sorry to say, that day has not yet come, and more books have been added to the shelves. The excitement, the wisdom, the insights to be gained, are still waiting.

The other day, I thought it would be sensible to go through the shelves and see if I can make some space.  I was not successful. I pulled book after book off the shelf, read the blurb at the back and returned it to the shelf, making a mental note to self to read the book and take some notes, it was all fascinating. And so the afternoon continued. Although 'downsizing' is the buzzword for this generation, my intention was to create space.

Then there was a book sale for a local charity.
Thousands and thousands of books!
Rather than exercising any self-discipline, we went along, and yes, we bought more books. Novels, some I had read a long time ago but no longer owned and books of authors who were vaguely familiar, also came home.

I am not sure that you can have too many craft books: stitching, painting and lace-making are only part of my selection.

The good book says not to store up riches on the earth, to exercise self-discipline in every area of our life. I clearly am a work in progress, as I have not managed that criteria yet!

I like using my hands and my brains. I enjoy the intellectual stimulation of scholarly books. To toss ideas around, to engage with life's questions and have some conversations.
Books are good companions. In some instances, it takes a while for me to warm to the insights, and sometimes they hit the spot.

It is the diversity that attracts my attention. It doesn't matter whether the author is from a Jewish, Buddhist or Christian background; there are always gems hidden in the pages.

 

 

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.

No comments:

Post a Comment